Wednesday 28 October 2009

Walla artist

Walla Artist

I wondered what this was last night while sitting through ten to fifteen minutes of scrolling end credits just to see where our last night's film was shot. We both had our own ideas and we were both wrong. But, says I, who's these blinking walla artists?

Things like that tend to jump out at you after a while. You know, like 'what is ADR?' and why did it have to be done in five different countries? I know now what ADR is and - possibly - why it had to be done all over the shop. ADR is a TLA (three letter abbreviation) for Automated Dialogue Replacement or Additional Dialogue Recording also known as dubbing. I surely shouldn't have to explain dubbing at this stage of the game.

Nor should I have to explain 'rhubarb, rhubarb, rhubarb' to the likes of us that came originally from the UK or nearby, like Ireland, Republic of, or Ireland, Northern.

The extras making up crowd scenes would go: 'rhubarb, rhubarb, rhubarb' to simulate background chatter.
A Walla Artist is I am reliably (wikipedia of course) informed, the North American version of rhubarb.

Hi, does anybody remember the geese or ducks scene in a Hitchcock film which the blindfolded star mistook for the chatter of a cocktail party?

2 comments:

Me said...

One possible birds/cocktail party movie reference you could be thinking of was in the film "Sneakers" (Robert Redford), in which he was summarily thrown in the boot of a car and driven to a top secret location.

Hugh Macmillan said...

The scenario looks the same. That's all I can say. My shaky memory says the film I'm thinking of is much earlier. I'd have to see 'Sneakers' to properly dismiss it or admit it as the missing celluloid dream.