Tuesday 22 July 2008

The Royal Society of New Zealand

I like the look of this:

Manhire Prize

Manhire being Bill Manhire of Victoria University and maintainer of the Creative Writing Programme at the International Institute of Modern Letters, Victoria University of Wellington New Zealand.

Last year I obtained an Advanced Certificate in Creative Writing from Aoraki Polytech in sunny, down-town Dunedin. Two days a week, five at the beginning of each term, we would gather, we twelve plus our guide (she hates the word teacher) Diane Brown, on the sixth floor of Radio Otago House. In the stuffiest room on the planet we would practice our art, fulfilling the urge to create.

When it came to graduation I do not believe I have had a happier or prouder moment than when I mounted the stage at Dunedin Town Hall to receive my Certificate.

No comments: