Monday 26 May 2008

Early readings

In our house, 60s, we (me, Nelly and Minnie) read
  • The Newsletter
  • The Weekly News (aka Thomson's Weekly)
  • The Daily Express
  • Tit-Bits
  • Reveille
  • People's Friend
  • Woman's Own ( I only read the weekly adventures of Just William. No, honestly.)
  • Sunday People
  • News of the World
  • Sunday Post
  • The Dandy
  • The Beano
  • The Beezer
  • The Topper
  • The Hotspur
Last night I watched, alone, Polly not being well at present, The Iceman Cometh. Sounds good and literary eh? Oooo he's been watching Eugene O'Neill. Er ... no. This little gem comes from Hong Kong and its original release title is Ji dong ji xia (1989)

I realised after five minutes that I had already seen it - I didn't recognise the cover. Our Video Ezy store has reorganised its categories and Martial Arts has disappeared. You can still find Bruce and Jackie and Jet and Donnie in the store. But they might be in the Thriller or the Action or Foreign and Festival (a bizarre shelving of some of the finest films I have ever seen) sections. The Iceman stars Yuen Biao and Maggie Cheung. The martial arts are achieved with wire work which is disappointing. I didn't remember the plot - hi, no sniggering, there is a plot, there is a story - and the DVD froze in the final scenes so I forget how it ended. Never mind. I will lose no sleep.

No comments: