Sunday 1 June 2008

June mug

This one of the adverts on UTV (Ulster Television) during the 1960s

Old Harry says it's great stuff for an Ulsterman's thirst - an advert speaking of Thwaite's Star Keg

By the time I was old enough to buy a drink Thwaites Star keg had gone. I was fascinated by the glass old Harry was using to drink his beer from. Known as a pint tankard it had a handle and dimples. On my first visit to a Public Bar the glasses had no handles or dimples. Beer pun alert: a bitter disappointment.

Now I no longer care about pint tankards, I drink coffee from my Warner Bros. (made in Thailand) mug bought from a shop in Dublin. It features Daffy Duck, Wile E. Coyote Foghorn Leghorn, Sylvester, Bugs Bunny, Pepé le Pew, Yosemite Sam and Tweety.

This is my favourite mug. When I go it goes with me.

No comments: